Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 20 2010

Dear friends and family,
This is Selena once again (: Tonight is our last night in Suba, and I cannot imagine leaving these people with whom i have somehow had such a bond with in these past few days. It is like we have known them for so long - my host brother is truly a brother to me in my heart, and my new friends have a friendship with me that is deep, not like the average 5 day friendship.
I am writing to tell a story which has been deeply imprinted on my heart. Yesterday when the day started I was honestly a little down, but God moved so beautifully and I was truly blown away. There is a Colombian who has been with us a lot named Santiago. The first day I met him, he wanted to play guitar with me. He can sing beautifully - in English, while playing guitar which he just learned a month ago. As we have been getting to know him this week, his joy in the Lord has been so deeply evident. Yesterday he was sitting at my table during lunch. Earlier this week he had went to spend time with his family, so I asked them how they were doing. He was slightly hesitant, but he began to tell me a little bit of his story. His mom had thyroid cancer for a few years of his life. It was very difficult for their family and I imagine very trying for their faith. She went into remission for a few years. Sunday was his mom's birthday, and Monday she found out the cancer is back. As I am writing this, the words are difficult to find... I cannot imagine his pain. It was beautiful that despite the language barrier, the God within me could provide a listening ear to this hurting brother. We spoke for awhile about his family - how strong his family was through this, but how it was very hard for them. We spoke of the deep questions which broke his heart, but we also spoke of the wonderful faith he possesses. He told me he likes to sing to God when he is crying. He told me that he and his mom like to sing "I'm trading my sorrows for the joy of the Lord". For me this story was especially close to my heart because my boyfriend Andrew's mom had cancer for years. I cannot imagine the pain it caused their family - i can only see a glimpse. And also, I was born with a thyroid which was not fully formed. This part of me that I am supposed to have which I don't is what is causing such pain and hurt in the life of this family.
As a team, we laid hands on him and prayed for him and his family. The team was so very moved by his story. While we were praying, we felt with him, we questioned with him, we cried with him, and we trusted God with him. I could not explain how beautiful this time was - our team was united and deeply moved and overcome by the presence of God in the deepest of pain. After we were finished praying with him, Santiago wanted to worship - I played guitar and sang as many members of the team proclaimed who God is in our pain. So many of us were moved by this time - I honestly am trying so hard to put it to words but I cannot do justice. To see such faith amidst such ... the word pain does not do justice.... it is beautiful.
If you have made it this far into reading my blog, could you please join us in prayer for Santiago and his family? Pray for the healing of his mom, Maula. Pray for strength in this time of weakness. Pray for his faith to grow and stretch and continue. Pray that in the deepest of his questions, he would find the presence of God.
Thank you so so very much for your prayers. I want to write so much more but I have to go to the celebration service for our team (:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Selena, We will be praying for Santiago and his family, especially for Maula. God's peace be with you all. We miss you. Andrew is missing you soooo much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your words translated your feelings beautifully. I am so thankful you shared this, I am sitting here, crying at my desk... I can feel the presence of GOd there, while I sit and pray here. I will be praying for Maula, and Santiago.

    Loving and missing you all! Please hug Phyllis for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying in Jesus name here as well.

    Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete